How It Works
Our subscriptions include chicken, beef and pork, and possibly a seasonal lamb option. Each box will be a mix of frozen meats that are sourced from the whole animals we have purchased directly from local farmers and have had processed at local butcher shops. Pick ups are the first Wednesday of every month. Egg shares are now available and can be added on to your subscription.
What you need to do to receive this service:
1. Sign up. Complete your order on our sign up page. All subscribers will also receive our email newsletters with recipes, updates from the farm and useful food insights.
2. Pick up. Arrive at Western Cider - 501 N. California, in Missoula- the first Wednesday of every month to get your share.
3. Cook and enjoy!
A regular box size will be 7+ pounds per month. The subscription is $65 per month and will be for six months.
A large box size will be 14+ pounds per month. The subscription is $120 per month and will be for six months.
Eggs by the dozen can be added to your monthly share. These eggs are pasture-raised farm eggs for $5 per dozen.
We will offer add-ons on offal, chicken feet, soup bones and pork fat (for rendering lard) throughout the subscription. We hope to offer lamb, bison, goat and rabbit as an add-on to your monthly box in the future. Send us your requests!
- What if I can't make it to a monthly pick up?
- Consider arranging for a friend or family member to pick up your share. But if that doesn't work, just let us know. We can hold your share until the next month and double up then.
- How much of each variety will there be?
- Roughly about 1/3 of each pork, chicken and beef. Not every month will include a whole chicken.
- How long is the subscription?
- Each subscription is for six months, and the next one begins in November.
- What are the payment options?
- We accept cash and checks, as well as credit cards both at pick up and online. (Credit card purchases are additional to cover processing fees.) Payments made in full receive a discount.
- I would like eggs!
- Yes! Eggs are a household staple. You can either email me by the Friday before delivery with your egg order, or place a standing order to receive a set amount each month. I'll have a few extra dozen for sale at pick up, but to guarantee your eggs, let me know ahead of time!
- What about extras?
- We have add-ons available. Please let me know by the Friday before pick up what cuts you would like.
- How much freezer space will I need?
- Members will not need more than the capacity of a standard kitchen fridge/freezer. Imagine a standard grocery sack for volume.
Animals are purchased whole and we aim to use as much of them as possible as we create your shares. But pigs are not all bacon and cows are not all steaks!
Chicken- Keep in mind that the chickens are whole, so when you receive them, they could consist of much of your box for that month. Check out our future recipes pages to learn more about the best way to use all of this awesome chicken!
Pork and Beef- Cured meat can include breakfast sausage, bacon or hams. Burger is a large part of processing a whole animal and it is a useful product to have in a household. Quick and easy to prepare, we'll keep you updated with our favorite ways to utilize burger.
Here is a sample of some of the meats your box could include throughout the subscription:
- Whole chicken - each weighs an average of 4 pounds
- Ground beef
- Pork shoulder roast
- Pork chops
- Beef rib steak
- Sirloin steaks
- Short ribs
- Chuck roasts
- T-bone steaks
- Rump roast
- Cube steak
- Stew meat
- Breakfast link sausage
- Ground bulk sausage